Friday, January 6, 2012

A little less conversation, a little more action ...

So, I found some stuff this evening.

I've been going through a massive pile of craft and quilting magazines that a friend gave to me over the past year; cutting out patterns and pictures of things that should inspire me to utilize my stash of fabrics.

It's nice to have ideas to start with. Most of the time my ideas for quilts are based upon something someone else has created, with my own specific twist. A lot of the time my quilts start at a gallop when I've found some new fabric to play with and then quickly everything stalls as it becomes all too hard.

I'm a lazy quilter. I like the easy and quick to assemble patterns. That's why I'm not a fan of applique or hand piecing and quilting. I like to see the effect quickly. Strip piecing works for me in this respect. Also there is usually less un-picking when it's strip piecing. But the fabric is the first draw for me. Fabric is the first reason why I love quilting.

That's my frustration with my current project for Aunt M, the fact that it's taking so long to get to the whole picture. I have at the moment finished half the blocks required and now just have another 16 blocks to go. And now I know that I have until the end of January to make the rest of the quilt so I can assemble the quilt top to present to my Aunt M.

So, I'm looking at new project ideas and patterns. Obviously. This is what I should be doing.
And if I had the opportunity tomorrow, I would hit the nearest quilt fabric store and buy a bunch of fabrics that have no relation to any project currently underway, and start something new.

Seriously, I have a problem. This is how a Quilter procrastinates!! And how we get to have gargantuan stashes and towering piles of fabric that take over homes and small towns.

So, with that in mind, lets have a look at this blog - Millie's Quilting : Spring Quilting

I like this .... it's simple and sweet and quite elegant in it's sparse style and contrasting neutral background with the bright and patterned scrappy blocks. I love it! I just wish I had the space in my sewing room and life at the moment to contemplate working on a quilt like this one.

Which is why I have an inspiration book - an art diary of quilt pictures to trigger creative urges.

I have massacred lots of craft magazines this week to glue pictures into my quilt book and I feel like I've created something great. I'm happy with it and I hope it will work this year to help me start new projects with some plan and design that will sustain me throughout a project.

My New Year's Resolution for my sewing is to finish all my UFO's this year by either piecing or quilting them to finish. I would also like to create at least four new quilts this year with a quilt a quarter the goal.

Cue the music of doom!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment